Published: Wed, July 11, 2018
People | By Neil Grant

More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

A fifth boy was removed Monday from the flooded cave system in northern Thailand, joining four other soccer team members who were rescued Sunday - and leaving seven more youngsters and their coach still inside the cavern, according to reports.

Medics appeared to remove one person on a stretcher but hid the person's identity behind multiple white umbrellas.

The rescued boys had to travel about 2 1/2 miles with oxygen tanks, making their way back to the cave's entrance using a 3-mile rope.

The boys who were rescued on Sunday were strong and safe but needed to undergo detailed medical checks, he said.

Meanwhile, Thailand's weather department said there was a 60 percent chance of rain on Monday with thunderstorms forecast throughout the week.

Four boys were previously pulled from the cave on Sunday.

Monday's rescue effort took about nine hours, two fewer than the day before, in a sign of growing confidence and expertise. So the sub still could come into play on a third day of rescues.

"The prime minister said that this kind of event should never happen again on Thai soil", Narongsak told reporters.

In a statement released by the government, Mr Paojinda said officials were meeting Monday morning local time about how to extract the remaining nine people from the cave in the country's north. Mr Paojinda said more air canisters were being placed along the underwater route to where the boys and their coach have been trapped for nearly two weeks.

They and their coach, Ekapol Chantawong, 25, were trapped inside Tham Luang cave by floodwaters after entering on June 23.

On Sunday, divers held the first four boys close to bring them out, and each had to wear an oxygen mask to enable normal breathing, authorities said.

He said the health of the five people remaining in the cave was "still good" and rescuers would resume an operation to retrieve them in about 20 hours' time.

Officials called the four boys who have already been rescued, "hungry, but happy".

Family members have seen at least some of the boys from behind a glass isolation barrier, and Jesada said doctors may let the boys walk around their beds Tuesday.

"You can't make a horror movie that would even compare", said Anmar Mirza with the National Cave Rescue Mission.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda had said early Monday that the same divers who took part in Sunday's rescue would return to extricate the others as they know the cave conditions and what to do. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

"The divers that were assembled from many countries are proud to have conducted this operation until its success", Narongsak added. "Some of them had gone to rest". They were accompanied by professional divers throughout. Highlighting the extreme dangers, a former Thai Navy SEAL died Friday while replenishing the oxygen canisters placed along the route to the boys' damp refuge. Two of them possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally "healthy and smiling", he said.

There were several concerns that prompted authorities to move forward with the plan to dive the boys out.

Like this: