Published: Wed, June 13, 2018
Medicine | By Douglas Stevenson

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Although it is rare, tick paralysis is important to recognize because it can be fatal or almost fatal.

The little girl was immediately rushed to a hospital, where doctors confirmed that she'd been suffering from tick paralysis.

In happy news Kailyn was able to walk out of hospital after receiving treatment.

Last Wednesday morning, Jessica Griffin said she woke up to find her daughter Kailyn unable to walk. Initially, she brushed it off by saying that her daughter's legs were sleeping.

Griffin later shared another photo of her daughter leaving the hospital. Jessica says that Kailyn told her, "It's weird being famous". Her mum Amanda Lewis posted to Facebook that her daughter Evelyn couldn't stand no matter how hard she tried.

Staff at the University Medical Centre of MS discovered a tick embedded in the girl's scalp that had caused her temporary paralysis.

Kailyn has since recovered and was discharged from University of Mississippi Medical Center on June 6, Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook. Medical officials began to investigate to see what was wrong with Kailyn.

After blood work and a CT scan, the child was diagnosed with tick paralysis.

The American Lyme Disease Foundation states that it takes five to seven days for a person to develop tick paralysis symptoms.

Fun and laughter aside, Jessica wants her readers to be aware that tick paralysis is both real and unsafe. It can start as fatigue, numbness and an increasing inability to move. Removing the tick usually provides symptom relief within 24 hours, though if the tick isn't removed, paralysis can spread to the respiratory system and can be fatal.

"I honestly have never even heard of that before", Griffin said. "Her pediatrician said that it had sucked so much overnight that it had gotten that big and released a toxin", said Griffin to ABC News.

Jessica Griffin, from MS in the USA, said she did not realise anything was wrong with Kailyn until the little girl woke up last Wednesday morning. Griffin wrote on Facebook. She included two photos in her post, which were the tick in Kailyn's head and the removed tick in a plastic bag. Ticks are most active from April through September, The Washington Post has reported.

Like this: