Published: Tue, March 13, 2018
People | By Neil Grant

CCTV footage shows moment man was shot inside courtroom

CCTV footage shows moment man was shot inside courtroom

"The video completely contradicts the plaintiffs' argument that Angilau stopped posing a danger within less than one second of launching himself over the witness stand while making a stabbing motion with a pen in his hand", Dowdell wrote in a statement obtained by Deseret News. He attempted to stab the witness but missed and fell onto the floor.

Angilau was shot dead by a US Marshal.

Angilau was an alleged leader of a local street gang called the "Tonga Crip Gang".

Dramatic video released Monday shows a US marshal firing four times at close range at a defendant inside a Utah federal courthouse after he rushed the witness stand, jumped and swung with a pen at a shackled witness who barely backed out of the way.

A United States judge has released terrifying footage of a gang member, who was in court over racketeering charges, attacking a shackled witness with a pen before being shot dead by security officials four times at close range. The police marshal's identity is now under suppression. He dismissed Angilau's family's lawsuit which claimed excessive force was used in the incident.

The family of Siale Angilau, 25, have argued that the USA marshal who shot him dead used excessive force.

An FBI investigation later found the shooting was legally justified.

The Angilau family attorney, Bob Skyes, offers a contradictory point of view. He also noted that the defendant was already on the ground when the Marshall fired the final three shots, CBS News also reported.

"There was no need to use deadly force", Sykes said. "They weren't entitled to use the death penalty on him for an assault".

Sykes said the Angilau family hasn't decided if they'll appeal the ruling throwing out the wrongful death lawsuit.

Angliau, a member of the Tongan Crips gang, is seen grabbing a pen and rushing another gang member who was testifying against him. He was the last of the defendants to stand trial, with other gang members having received prison sentences ranging from 10 to 30 years.

Before he died, the incident prompted US District Judge Tena Campbell, who was hearing the case, to declare a mistrial.

Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary ordered the release of a pixelated version of the video obscuring faces of law enforcement officers and others in November, but the Department of Justice objected. The agency declined comment Monday about the release of the video.

The Utah Media Coalition fought for a year for Dowdell to release the footage, according to KUTV in Salt Lake City.

Like this: