Published: Wed, February 07, 2018
Medicine | By Douglas Stevenson

Kittery woman finds unexpected ingredient in her lettuce

Kittery woman finds unexpected ingredient in her lettuce

Michelle Carr, a nurse and new mother living in Kittery, Maine, holding a dead lizard that she found and while eating a fresh salad, recently on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018.

Then, as she went to take a bite, she said she stuck her fork into something firm, but it wasn't a slice of avocado.

"It was longer than my middle finger without its tail". "I just want people to know that we need to be diligent". "I instantly wretched and I was revolted because I thought for a second I could've eaten its tail".

A woman from Maine, Kittery town in the United States got the shock of her life after biting into what she thought was avocado.

She added, "That was very, very scary for me".

Carr bought the store-brand lettuce from a Shaw's supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire on January 26, but the product was distributed by a company in California. She recently became a mother and is now breastfeeding a baby boy.

Concerned about possible salmonella and E. coli exposure, Carr told WCVB she contacted the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services and the Food and Drug Administration along with the supermarket.

A spokesperson for Shaw's said the company is working with the lettuce supplier to figure out why this happened and how to prevent it.

The lizard was later identified by Carr's biologist friend as a blue-belly lizard, native to California and other western states.

DHHS told News 9 that the case falls outside its jurisdiction because the lettuce was packaged outside the state, but confirmed that the FDA is investigating the incident. A spokesperson from the supermarket said that the company is now working with its lettuce supplier to find out how this happened and to prevent a similar incident from happening again. Nonetheless, the FDA is conducting an investigation of the incident. She later realized it was a tailless dead lizard, and she isn't sure if she has ingested the animal's tail.

Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest ME news.

Like this: